Pancakes the old-fashioned way
The British Library have just tweeted this pancake recipe from 1585. If you fancy a taste of the 16th century, here’s the same recipe made a touch more legible.
- A pint of thick cream
- Five egg yolks
- A handful of flour
- Two tablespoons of ale
How to do it
- Mix the cream, egg yolks, flour and ale in a bowl.
- Season with a handful of sugar, a tablespoon of cinnamon and a pinch of ginger.
- Melt a chunk of butter (about the size of your thumb) in a frying pan.
- Ladle some of your mixture into the pan and make sure it spreads to the edges.
- Fry over a low heat until one side is baked, then flip it over and bake the other side.
Your inbox deserves better
Break up all those Zoom invites with something different: our latest writing tips and tricks. Enter your email to subscribe. (You can unsubscribe anytime.)